IFP Conference Application

Why do I think that I am worthy of being selected for helping with a conference? Well, there are a few reasons that I believe make me suitable for this role as a conference facilitator. First off, I believe that one of the most fundamental qualities that an IFP conference facilitator should have is the ability to work with others in a meaningful manner. I think that I am able to show this through various commitments I make at school. A good example would be my efforts at my local service- Computer Skills with Hougang Centre. In this service, I help lead the planning of lessons that aim to teach computer-related skills to people from the Hougang Centre. This service has allowed me to learn about how to effectively contact people, keeping tabs on what everyone is supposed to be doing and manage logistics for every session. Additionally, I have also shown these qualities during our IFP sessions as I personally think I am able to collaborate effectively with other people whether it was about coming up with an idea for the G5 activity or it was actually executing the Grade 5 game of life activity.

Another point that I think would make me well suited for this role is my ability to communicate effectively with other people. In general, I find it easy to share my ideas with others and make sure that my perspective is heard without imposing it on them. I think the key to effective communication lies in not only presenting your side but also listening to others’ perspectives. This is most evident in our IFP sessions as I share my ideas but am also open to what others have to say about the same topic and as a habit, I try to add on to what they are saying so that I can show how I recognise their point even if I don’t fully agree with them. This is particularly important in an IFP conference because not everyone there will have the same view on issues as I do but an essential part of being a peacebuilder is to recognise that it is okay to not agree and that it is more important to actually acknowledge each other’s arguments. This is a trait I think apart from IFP I have also carried over from my experience in MUN and debating in general, as in general you still have to listen to other people’s perspectives except this does not involve the changing other people’s perspectives element of debating.

The last point I would like to bring across is my interest in IFP in general. After having participated at the IFP Peace Day @ Dover and almost two months of sessions, I have found myself captivated by the activities we do and more importantly the cause it is for. In an ever-changing world where it is so much easier to find ways to disagree with others I personally believe that it is really important for us to be able to find common ground with others and be able to think from their perspective and the way, we go about trying to bring that point across by planning various activities is what I like the most.

For example when we were tasked with creating an activity for the Grade 5 mentor time. My first idea was an iteration of the lego activity. I thought that getting them to create a city by pasting pictures of different buildings on a city block where each person had a hidden objective, would be a really good way of emphasising the importance of communication but also collaborating with others as it shows how alone we can not achieve anything and instead it requires us to work together as a community to achieve anything. Even though our activity was not selected I think there were some iterations we could have made to that activity to make it a better simulation. For example, I had initially thought that may be giving them conflicting objectives and no ability to speak would be a good activity after the game of life, I realised maybe a better idea would be to divide them on the basis of class and give them objectives that are motivated by that difference, for example, the upper class would want to see more parks, while the poor would want to see more public housing in the city. That way they will be able to put their point across and justify why it is the right choice. This will help them learn more about working together and making compromises for the betterment of the community as a whole. I think I can use such thinking to help ensure that only good activities are chosen for the actual conference and even if they aren’t my ideas help make improvements to them to ensure only our best ideas are considered for the actual conference.