CREST Reflection

Over the course of the CREST project, I have both encountered a few difficulties as well as learned many new things about my topic and how to research effectively. This project, in a few aspects, was successful because I was able to research my topic using a range of different sources and pieces of information from reliable authors/ research teams, which helped with the credibility of my final conclusions. Additionally, I managed to choose a format for my project which I feel accurately presented my information to my target audience in the best way possible, as through a research report I could directly address many areas of the topic. While I had some successes in my outcome, there were also a few drawbacks to my project. One of the main areas that I struggled a lot in was finding raw data and graphs to use in my report that was both simplified enough that someone wouldn’t need extensive knowledge of genetic modification to understand, but is also relevant and assists the conveying of my information. This provided me with some difficulty to overcome and when reflecting back, I still believe I could have included more of this style of information in my report. I think that my CREST project can have wider implications on the world today because as our population increases at an unprecedented rate, we are struggling now more than ever to address the growing hunger crisis. From the data I presented in my research report, it was clear to see that the use of CRISPR to genetically modify crops, although it comes at a risk, can increase crop yield dramatically. As we exit the COVID-19 pandemic, the world is questioning the sustainability of our current industries now more than ever and the use of genetic modification can ensure that we not only address the SDG goal of “Zero Hunger”, but also work towards more sustainable food and agricultural industries.