Yoga Therapy During Covid19

Learning outcome 4: Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences. 

Learning outcome 7: Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and actions.

Covid-19 impacted Singapore shortly before the grand Chinese New Year festivities that everyone looks forward to. This was right at the beginning of our term 2 and towards the end of season 2 of CAS activities. Soon enough we had to stop our regular Thursday afternoon Yoga Therapy sessions with our local partners due to our social distancing and safety measures.

During this period, our service group began pondering about how we can maintain contact with our partners and reach out to them to let them know that we miss them and are thinking of them. We spent our first two sessions without our partners brain storming ways to do this and came up with a couple of ideas:

1. Develop our understanding of People With Intellectual Disabilities (PWIDs) by researching and reading.
  2. Write an article about our service to publish on UWCSEA’s service portfolio to raise awareness and garner interest for our service.
  3. Record a video of our yoga routine for our service partners to watch and practice at Tampines MINDS.

During these planning sessions without our yoga partners and entering uncertain times as the Covid-19 situation advanced, I felt very lost and a bit unmotivated to join our service sessions. Despite this, I tried my best to keep up my good spirits and optimism in my service experience. I felt accomplished to know that our team had productive sessions although short. We had meaningful conversations after reading our new research and planned out the Article for our service portfolio together.

Our Service Portfolio Article.