Looking back on the season of U19B Football, overall as a team we have improved tremendously and this could be shown through our 2 final games both winning 4-0 to two schools. At the start of the year, half of the football team was made out of girls like myself, who never initially played the sport was required to play against some A teams from other schools regionally. This was a challenge for us as we did not have correct form or experience to play games. As the season went pass, our technique and passing abilities improved through training sessions 3 times a week (Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays) One experience that was memorable was getting the opportunity to play in Dragons Invitational at UWCSEA East. We competed against our A team as well as some of the best teams from different schools, even though we evidently did not perform as well as they did, we still as a team got the experience to play in a competitive environment.

I also changed positions a week before the tournament as the goalie was previously injured and we did not have a permanent one, the coaches found a correlation with gymnastics and being the keeper, therefore, started training to become the goalie. This was new for me as I was not experienced with trying to prevent the fast-paced balls being shot at me which were difficult at first, also the idea of throwing yourself at the ground was a concept difficult for me to adapt to as in gymnastics the floor surface was relatively soft than the turf. This was a new experience for me as I got to try 2 different positions on the field which was overall a good learning experience.

This did create some problems for me as I was very integrated into sports in season 1 due to two sports that required my full commitment through training, games, and competitions. Luckily I have adapted to the rigorous IB program and what it requires of me regarding workload and assessments. Since football ended at 4:30 and gymnastics at 7:30, this created exhaustion a few times which caused my body to become prone to injuries, therefore, have decided to only commit to gymnastics for the rest of the 3 seasons as I have experienced how hard managing two sports, workload and how it could be straining on my body physically and mentally.

Learning outcomes within the experience:

LO2 – Demonstrate that you have undertaken, developing new skills in the process

LO4 – Show commitment to and perseverance in you CAS experiences

LO5 – Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively