SheLeads w Ruki Roy: Reflection

SheLeads was an event that I found out through Coding for Good. It was an event where the organizer Ruki Roy reached out to her contacts for help. Coding for Good was part of helping build their website and part of their advertising team. The event was a conference aimed towards young female aspiring engineers; Ruki made sure, however, to not make the event exclusive and not only catered towards girls. Ruki reached out to a ton of different inspiring speakers whom she video conferenced in. The impressive list includes a former NASA director, NASA engineers, and Georgia Tech and Standford current students. (The poster I created is below) She is an aeronautical engineering student at Georgia Tech with a Brooke Owens Fellowship. I found this event very cool and chose to help organize this event.

I think that I took a lot away from this event. I could not help but draw comparisons to Coding for Goods Hackathon. There was so much I learnt from watching Ruki lead the event – she was filled with confidence and was not scared at all. Things went wrong and she took it in her stride. I found this very inspiring. There are plans for next year, and it looks like Coding for Good will be taking a larger role in this. Things to take away were the advertising had to be better and the audience should have probably been a bit more filtered and perhaps more mature.