Building a Logo

The Design Basics

Proximity:

• It is all about using visual space to show relationships in your content
  • You have to make sure related items are grouped together
  • Groups that are not related are separated
  • For visual emphasis on their lack of relationship
  • To improve my proximity, I could have used fewer shapes and icons to make my logo look less messy.

White Space:

• An important part of every composition
  • Negative Spaces
    • Space between content, lines and outer margins
  • Helps define and separate different sections
  • I think I did okay in terms of White Space, My logo had more than enough room to “breathe” (as they said in the video)

Alignment:

• Making sure text in aligned and consistently so
  • My icons, shapes, and text were equally aligned

Contrast:

• Means that one item is different from the other
  • I could have used more contrasts in my shape and their colors to make my logo look less boring
  • However, I did try to have a contrast between my nature-based icon and the cityscape background.

Repetition:

• To have a consistent look and feel
  • Reinforce your design by echoing certain elements
  • I think my logo did not really need repetition, otherwise, it would look quite messy
  • But I did repeat my use of icons to make my logo look neater

Rough Draft Writing

Link to my ‘Design In Pages’ Document

Things that I did do in the ‘Done Manifesto’:

• I treated everything as a draft, there is always room for improvement
  • I did not procrastinate on my work, I did it as soon as I was told and finished it pretty briefly

Things that I did not do in the ‘Done Manifesto’:

• I treated mistakes as though they shouldn’t happen
    • Mistakes are made when trying out new things
    • As the website said, “People without dirty hands are wrong. Doing something makes you right.”
  • I did not “throw it away” once I was done
  • I did not realize that the point of being done is not to finish but to get other things done.

Thinking About My Client

Steve Dawson:

Steve Dawson’s talk was very interesting, it was all about good interview techniques to make sure there could be a productive and worth-while conversation between interviewer and interviewee.It made me question how to make better connections with my learning by asking open-ended questions for better responses in such situations like an oral speaking exam or interviewing fellow peers in an activity. The talk actually taught me there is so much more to journalism and interviewing than just mindlessly asking questions. What I am still unsure about in terms of interviewing, does body language significantly affect the course of the interview? If the interviewer is slouching, does that make the conversation more boring?

Chetan Bhagat:

I had originally thought that Mr. Chetan Bhagat would just talk about being an author and what it means to be one. I kind of expected him to have just a mundane talk about ways to write and things like that.
However, after the talk wrapped it was actually much different than I had anticipated, which was a pleasant surprise. After the talk, I had to rethink my mindset that all authors can do is just write, write, write.As it actually turns out, they could have a huge power. They can influence and change the opinions of their audience with their very own literature. This ties in with what Mr. Bhagat said during his talk, “Literature is communication through the written word” With enough readers following the ideas of the book, you are more than an author, you are an influencer. With Bhagat’s huge audience in India, he is able to gain the attention of politic officials, this is a perfect example of using your platform for a positive cause and not just for earning money. What Chetan Bhagat is doing is very admirable and I think it is clever of him to use his platform to influence Indians rather than do it all for fame or money.

Deborah Emmanuel:

Out of all the talks, her’s spoke to me the most. I was just incredibly moved by her passion for writing poetry,how honest she was and how she stayed true to herself and kept her own opinion despite so many people knocking it down. I think the way she views life is very admirable because she is not putting to shame that she has gone to jail and that rather, it is a part of her growth and needed to happen to her in order for her to be where she is at today. Something I can take from this is how much poetry can help. Ms. Emmanuel had said that poetry helps to “untangle the tangled mess of troubles in our heads, heart and body”

Robyne Hayes:

I thought Robyne Hayze was very interesting, I had never seen a photographer and a researcher at the same time. It was motivating to see how heartfelt she was about the issue of child marriage in developing countries. Even more motivating were her results after she worked with several communities. How the girls were given more of a voice, get income, were able to work on fields and even make friends. The men even started learning and starting changing positively. I think this shows that it is never too late to start changing for the better.

TWC2 Volunteer:

I think it’s incredibly admirable of such an organization to be helping out with what is seen to be such a difficult issue in Singapore today. In all honesty, I did not realize there were so many cases of the mistreatment of transient workers. After the talk, my eyes have definitely been opened. I found it especially eye-opening that workers are made to settle for a lower salary than promised in order to keep their job. I just thought it was insane, that these people traveled all the way to Singapore for a job with-not to mention, a huge debt, and some people cannot even give them their full pay? Like the volunteer said, organizations like TWC2 should be redundant. If there were more organizations like it today, it could eradicate the whole problem

What I want my logo to communicate

I want it to be able to communicate the diversity of the speakers and all the different things they can speak about to the students. I also want it to showcase the several passions students can realize throughout Writers’ Fortnight

The 3 Logos

Below are the logos that I feel best follow the Design Basics in my opinion.

Sketches

We also have the sketches of the possible logo that my group and I narrowed down.

My Partner and I's Slideshow for our Logo

My Slides for My Final Logo

I have embedded my slides that showcase my final Writers’ Fortnight logo