Iceland (Alternatively titled, a city girl in the country)

Over the summer, I had the pleasure of going to Reykjavik, Iceland with my family. I landed in Reykjavik on a cold, gloomy morning. Very different from the heat wave that was happening in Scotland, where I had flown in from. My first impression of the country was that it was very cold, even from inside the plane I could feel the cold surrounding the vehicle. It was summer and it was 12 degrees Celsius. We got off the plane and began heading to the small Airbnb we were staying at for the 5 days we were there. In the cab, I was surprised by the lack of tall buildings surrounding us, it was all just field for miles before we finally got the Reykjavik which was mostly filled with small stores and restaurant with the occasional small building. It was a huge contrast to what I was used to in Singapore, with its huge skyscrapers, practically touching the clouds in the sky.

Once my parents and I got settled into our Airbnb, we quickly left to look around Reykjavik and grab a bite to eat after our plane ride. Now, I’ll be honest, I did my fair share of complaining about the lack of wifi in the area. I was so used to being able to walk into a random mall and be able to get wifi that being in Iceland where people actually cared less about wifi and social media (shocker!) was a total culture shock. Eventually, my parents and I decided on a pizza restaurant (so much for being cultured and eating the food of Iceland). Without wi-fi, I was able to find things to talk about with my parents and  I actually found myself laughing a lot more than I would be from pointless texts from my friends (don’t get me wrong I love them)

My trip to Iceland was very eye-opening and showed me that there was much more to life than my phone and social media. I am very grateful for this experience and hope I have more opportunities to travel to places like these in the future.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: