Reflective Conversation 1

Researcher's Reflection Space

For my EE, I knew I wanted to integrate my love for playing the piano with my interest in physics. I narrowed down my research by watching videos on MinutePhysics and ultimately chose to investigate the effect of tension on piano string inharmonicity. To further my understanding, I also read a few research papers about the topic.

During the research phase, I encountered two challenges. The first was the complexity of inharmonicity’s theory. I lacked the mathematical knowledge to understand it, which was why I asked my mom to explain differential equations and fourier transform to me. My experimental design wasn’t successful either. I had to suspend my piano string under enough tension to hear audible frequencies when it was strung. However this failed even after using gym weights, and I realised I had to take a different approach. Now I need to contact my school’s music department to ask whether experimenting on a real piano would be a possibility.

One thought on “Reflective Conversation 1

1. Hi Anvita,
    Thanks for posting your reflection.
    This sounds like such a cool topic. I wish I knew more about physics so I could help you, but alas, I do not. I’m excited to see what the outcome of your research is, though! Keep me in the loop!
    In future, please place the word count of your reflection in brackets at the end of your paragraph.
    Do let me or your supervisor know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Queen EE