The key to a journalist’s purpose: Steve Dawson

(I used to think, navigation protocol, filtered four)

I used to think that he was just a sports commentator and that we would talk about his experiences but after the talk, I found out that he was an accountant and now a journalist that got to meet so many people and interview them which was pretty cool. I need to rethink my approach to these people that they could be interesting other than some guest speaker. The guest speaker helped advanced the way I think about journalism that it is more than just a notepad and pencil while listening to people. Journalist are the way that celebrities can talk to the rest of the world and we know what is going on in their life if we are interested. This talk is connected to what we learnt in class because journalists are the ones that write the hard news, the op-eds and the featured articles. If we want to write an article, we would have to use those skills in order to do so. This session didn’t particularly inspire me strongly about doing journalism because it just isn’t, pressurising. There isn’t anything that I’m unsure about.  I chose a notepad because that is what interviewers use. I chose a voice recorder because interviewers also use those. I chose a person on the use in a laptop because that is was journalists do, report. I chose a camera with money on it because sometimes people film themselves reporting and they make money off of it. 

One thought on “The key to a journalist’s purpose: Steve Dawson

1. I agree with your statement about celebrities and how journalists are a part of the voice they use to communicate with the world. I think that you have shown how journalists use equipment to document their findings from their interviewees well, however I think that from what I heard from his talk, the quality of the interview comes from the person, and what kind of questions the interviewer asks.