Broken then Restored: Christina Lau

(Filtered four, navigation protocol, sand-shoreline-ship)

I chose a person in a wheelchair/ the disable person sign because she was on due to a horrific accident that caused her to have a serious injury to her spinal cord and she came to talk to us about it, how much it changed her and how she was using that as her advantage. I chose an old scale because she also talked about how disabled people should be equal to normal people, how it wasn’t their fault that they are injured and are unable to recover. She talked about how they should be payed equally and especially how they should in the first place, be working! Allowed to work. Most companies don’t allow that and it is devastating. Steven Hawking is in a wheelchair and he is basically a science genius! I chose a painting because Christina chose painting (mouth painting) as an escape from her depression and it made her happy again and enjoying life a little bit more, even if she can’t ever walk again. This icon is perfect as well because Lau really likes to paint landscapes too. I chose a flower because Christina mentioned that she really likes painting flowers, a lot of her artwork is of them. Really beautiful paintings. North: It helped me advance, or I guess learn more about disabled people. In the sense of a first person perspective, how it must feel to be stuck in a chair. For me, it would’ve been traumatising. I think I might have even lost my mind but for her to cope with it and still have so many years ahead of her, i’m just really proud even if I don’t know her. It’s just mind boggling to me. South: The purpose of what we talked about was to raise awareness for disabled people and mouth painters. How it must connect to our lesson, to really know a person’s story and maybe certain people’s stories in a specific group (such as disabled people in this case). In order to write an op-ed or feature article. East: This session inspired me to sort of “suck it up” when I’m having a problem because some people have it worse than me and they are recovering and getting better at that problem. If they can, then I certainly can too and i’m not saying that “oh, it must be surprising that they can cope with their problems”. I’m saying that if people as strong as them who lost something, then I can do something do without having lost something. As well as not taking something for granted because one day you can loose that. West: What am I unsure about? Not a lot. Maybe even nothing. Sand: To think like I writer is to not have bias, or at least have as minimal as possible. To listen carefully and find a purpose or a “deeper meaning” behind spoken words that people could learn from. Shoreline: A minor thing that I got educated about was that I didn’t think that a person who is paralysed could regain that movement. Christina said that she couldn’t sit properly and now she can without falling off and that took practice. That was new. As well as in the human library, one girl talked about how her great grandfather was paralysed and his wife fixed that for him. Didn’t know that before. Other than that small thing, nothing else really changed my thinking about something. Ship: Something that I KNOW is going to stay with me is this saying that she shared, it goes like this:

“If you fail never give up because F.A.I.L means “First attempt in Learning”.

End is not the end, in fact E.N.D means “Effort never dies”.  Choose LOVE ❤️Creative Commons License AnneJ ღ via Compfight

If you get NO as an answer, remember that N.O means ” Next opportunity”

So let’s think positive”

This is really going to stay with me especially as a person that finds it really hard to stay positive in really negative times, this might help as previously mentioned “cope with problems”. This talk was pretty inspiring, more people should take sessions like these to learn a little something.

Icons:

.   .    .  

One thought on “Broken then Restored: Christina Lau

1. I completely agree with you in the regard that people with disabilities should be treated exactly the same as anyone else. They should have equal opportunities as the rest of the world and if they accomplish something that should be celebrated. I admire the work that she is doing to advocate for disabled people and support her in what she does. I have heard of the acronym FAIL being first attempt at learning, but never of END being effort never dies, I find this really interesting and believe that anyone can achieve their goals if they try hard enough.