Personal Statement

I’m Diana and I’m in Grade 9 at United World College at South East Asia East Campus. I used to want to be a nurse or a vet, I’ve always been interested in science. Now, I’m not so sure because of all the possibilities that I could be. My strengths are that i’m a good self-manager and i’m pretty creative. I am usually pretty resilient when a project has to be done in one my subjects (usually resistant materials). I am always organised and make sure to get assignments handed in on time. I am interested in of sciences that have to do with the earth like geography and biology. I have lived in the Netherlands before coming to Singapore. It hasn’t changed me in anyway as the time when I most started to change was already in Singapore and I barely remember what happened as I was under 7 years old. This school has heavily influenced me as it showed me how to have an open mind and showed me how to improve my thinking and skills further.

My aspirations are to be successful in a medical field (whether in psychology, biology, chemistry, geography or bio-medicine, I am still unsure). I would like to become a more open speaker and be able to talk to people without being too shy or too quiet but I am unsure how to achieve that, this will help me become easier to talk to when getting a job done in the future and whenever teamwork is required. I want to pull my geography, chemistry and biology grades up to a 7 if possible or at least a high 6 by looking further into these subjects and units (youtube channels, extra work in textbooks, etc) that we are learning as that can expand my learning and take what I know further as well as consolidating concepts that I already know. I would also like to write a book someday as I am already writing stories whenever I am not at school.

I have always been interested and drawn to understanding how living organisms work and how maybe we could create something based on nature for multiple benefits that could could solves multiple environmental problems in the world. I was always a curious child and that could have caused me to ask for questions about what is most around me, nature. Why is the sky blue? What the leaves green? How are we alive? What is everything made of? My interest in these nature related topics could also have come from past teachers that were really passionate about what they were teaching and that could have inspired me. I was also surrounded by books as most people in my family loved to read and I came to liking them too as now I have shelves upon shelves of books.