Owning Your Odyssey

Where do you want to go this year? Which boundaries of your comfort zone do you want to pioneer? When might it feel like the wind is blowing against you? How will you keep your gas tank full along the way? Who will inspire you along the way? How might you inspire others along the way? What did you learn this year that you need to remember along this journey? Which mistakes might you be willing to make this year?

These questions feel sort of hard for me. I’ve never been one for setting goals, and I don’t have a specific one in mind. For me, I’ve always been more interested in the Journey, not the Destination.

I did a sailing camp in the summer. It was a great experience, and I’m hoping to do it again. When the wind is blowing against you, coming from the place you’re going, it’s the hardest. If you want to continue moving the right way, you need to tack- the term for turn, which is harder than it seems. Anytime you tack, the boom swings over your head, and the weight of the boat shifts to the other side, forcing you to swap sides, and swap hands. But you need to do this over and over again, zig-zagging against the wind.

I think that moving into High School is a brand new experience, making me want to get used to the way it works before committing to activities. I’m thinking of doing two things this year; HS Circus Club, and a sailing club. Maybe next year I’ll try signing up for things like a school musical play thing. My friends, a grade above me, were signing up for it. I saw them practice and it looked really fun. But, for this year, I just want to get settled in. Learn to ‘sail’ through High School, and enjoy the journey.