Representation and Me

Can texts ever be truly representative of groups of people?

If we liken groups of people to a Rubik’s cube, texts only show a single face. You can only portray so much through media. No matter how well you deliver the message, there will be people that will misconstrue it and add more to the criticism.  Representation in texts caters to the needs of the wealthy, thereby ignoring the masses whose voices needed to be heard. It is simply the tip of the iceberg and what we don’t see are the components that make up a culture. It is also art, which is an imitation and life, and people will have varying opinions as a result of their identities.

How does identity play a role in how we understand or respond to texts?

Personal biases, values, beliefs and experiences all come into play when interpreting texts. I loved reading books growing up and I still do to this day, but I would find myself involuntarily critiquing the text if, say, the protagonist was someone I identified with and was not representing who I was as a person. We read a little too heavily into text because we want to relate with out heroes. Each of us yearns to be shown in a positive light even when that is not entirely possible. We shape our narratives just as our narratives shape us.

Captain Marvel, for example, was a game changer for me. In the movie there was a montage of the struggles she faced as a woman from childhood to adulthood. I saw bits and pieces of myself in those struggles. Being told what I can or can’t do because of my gender set back a lot of opportunities for me. I then realised that if marginalised groups don’t have a seat at the table, we must make a new table for ourselves. It is paramount we recognise the issues with representation.

How is the act of representation problematic?

Representation reinforces negative stereotypes upon minorities. Viewers/readers/consumers may become discouraged to go for their dreams and try new things. We want to be the superheroes in our own comic books; and it is entirely possible, with a strong sense of self. This is not possible when everything in the media blows the truth out of proportion, or steers it in an entirely different direction. Media companies have turned the act of storytelling into a money-generating, lie-fabricator for their benefit. We can change this through being more vocal about misrepresentation. So no one has to go into this world thinking their identity hinders their passions.