P&G: #TheTalk

This moment resonates with me as someone who is learning to drive through the guidance of my mother. It put things into perspective about how my mother does not have to tell me what to do in the event of being pulled over because this bias is not as prevalent in my culture. Learning how to drive marks one’s transition to adulthood, but the mother in this scene is almost afraid to let her daughter go. This shot is taken within the confines of an enclosed space, the inside of the car. The overall color palette of the advert is dark and muted, telling the audience that this is not a cheery film. It is fraught with emotions and fears passed through generations of American history.  It highlights the personal, private interaction between parent and child with regards to the added precautions of what to do in the event of being pulled over. African-American parents are cognizant of the bias which may threaten to take their children’s lives. The daughter reassures her mother that she is a good driver, however the mother counters, saying that police will not take skill set into account when the color of your skin ultimately determines what kind of person you are.