Why did I join GEP?

Generation. Education. Period. (G.E.P) is a focus group with three overarching goals: raising awareness about period poverty, working to end menstrual shaming, and promoting sustainable sanitary products. They recently partnered with Freedom Cups, a business in Singapore. Freedom Cups sells menstrual cups in Singapore and also donates them in Lesser Economically Developed Countries (LEDCs). For every menstrual cup bought, one is donated in an LEDC. Menstrual cups are medical-grade silicone and can be reused for 15 years. They have now gotten Freedom Cups in our school shop and hope to grow this partnership further. 

At the beginning of the school year, I had bought one of the freedom cups as recommended by my friends when I inquired about how to adopt more sustainable habits. I had also heard about GEP’s mission during the carousel which advertised the different global concerns and focus groups in UWCSEA. I, myself, have always been passionate about female empowerment and education for all. It only seemed right when the leader of GEP approached me and invited me to join as I see this as a commitment worth pursuing. I am constantly looking for avenues to do good and engage in meaningful conversations. 

The challenge of time constraints and juggling other commitments will surely make itself more present in grade 12 but for now, I want to give it as much as I can. In the first meeting alone, it was established that I am to be GEP’s liaison to UWCSEA’s boarding community.  I suggested that it would be a great idea to integrate menstrual cups into the care packages of new students for the incoming school year. I am looking forward to learning more about period poverty, event organization, and seeing how this will ultimately fit into my journey here.