IFP Cambodia Final Reflection

IFP had a huge emphasis on collaboration and communication. That is why when it came to allocating certain activities to facilitators for the IFP Cambodia conference, I volunteered to head the activities based on collaboration and communication. Since there were so many people involved in the planning, a lot of us got easily distracted. I usually reminded everyone of the agenda. When there were some members who fell short in the planning stage, I stepped in and helped those who needed suggestions for ideas as well as refining activities. It was such a frustrating, yet humbling and rewarding experience to go through.

IFP Cambodia addresses conflict in all forms, so we took into consideration the historical and political backgrounds of all the conference delegates when thinking of sharing concepts regarding conflict resolution. The majority of our delegates came from Myanmar and it was because of conversations we shared with them that we adjusted our approach to be more integrative for them. The Rohingya crisis was something I was not very well versed on so I understood the taboo surrounding censorship and what the delegates were allowed to talk about. I also learned more about their situations back home and was enlightened of injustices that existed outside of what I knew.

As we are accountable for what would happen in the conference, we had to act respectfully and be aware of small actions that might be considered distasteful. We wore modest clothing and tried not to say any swear words. At the end of each day, we asked for feedback regarding what we could do better. I remember being asked not to pick things up with my feet, a common mannerism from the Philippines. I had assumed it was normal but realized that maybe it was something the delegates were uncomfortable with.

Overall it was a highly impactful experience wherein I learned to be conscious of my behaviors, returned to a state of humility, and found joy in connecting with people on a deep level. I consider myself extremely honored to have been involved in this endeavor and made a difference within a span of five days.

Learning Outcomes: 5,6,7