DSA Initial Reflection

Empowering through Music with the Down Syndrome Association (DSA) is a local service at UWCSEA East Campus. On a weekly basis, we go to the DSA in Bishan and spend an hour with the lovely people there singing Disney songs and other well-known pop songs . The Down Syndrome Association is a non-profit organisation which works to enrich the life of the Down syndrome community here in Singapore through activities targeted across all age groups. The organisation works to enrich the lives of these wonderful people since birth, by equipping them with the means to contribute to society and help live a normal life as much as possible. The reason why we choose Disney songs is because they represent the inner child in all of us and most of them share good messages. At the end of each session, all the participants leave feeling better than when they first enter. 

The problem I foresee would be having difficulty making connections with the people we are trying to help. I am someone who tries not to overstep boundaries. To be honest, this service wasn’t my first choice as I wasn’t allocated to my original choice. I hope that future sessions will convince me that what I’m doing is helping other people. This is very unfamiliar territory to me but I want to be able to learn something new. The thing I am looking forward to the most is going out of this UWC bubble and getting to immerse myself with local Singaporeans.

Learning Outcomes: 1,2,3