Initiative For Peace Interim Reflection

At this point in time, I am not so certain whether the training has been successful or not. On the one hand, I am learning more about how conflict can arise and how to mitigate that through cultural competency. On the other hand, I am still unsure as to how the skills we’re learning will be applied to real life situations. I am glad that there are times where the teacher facilitators share personal experiences and even invite speakers to talk about moments that sort of align with the motives of IFP. There are instances where my own values and beliefs have been questioned, and as a result, lead to even more exploration into my own  self. For example, one of the teacher facilitators, Ms.Dawson, stood on top of a table in the center of the room and asked all of us to situate ourselves in relation to how close we would be if a conflict arises. Would we be front and center, dealing with the conflict? Or observing at a distance, analysing the next course of action? I was surprised by how many people situated themselves farther away from the conflict. Initially, I thought they didn’t have the courage to face conflict when it was in front of them, however, after listening  to their reasons, it  reminded me of  moments where  I, too, sat back and assessed the  situation before diving straight in. It brings to mind the concept of impulse and delaying gratification. There is a book titled Emotional Intelligence  which goes into depth about this concept. Of course, while dealing with a conflict is not a gratifying act in and of itself, it is the outcome that everyone aspires to reach. I look back fondly on this exercise as it made me think about things that I never thought of.  

Learning Outcomes: 3,4