HS Cuban Salsa: Initial Reflection

HS Cuban Salsa is a dance activity which focuses on salsa. In Cuba, a popular dance known as Casino was marketed abroad as Cuban-style salsa or Salsa Cubana to distinguish it from other salsa styles when the name was popularized in the 1970s. I feel like there would be an expectation for us to joining Dance Showcase, however, given the hectic schedule Grade 12s are facing, I fear that I may not take part of this. I am looking forward to meeting new people through this activity as well as learning new skills in an area that I’m not familiar with. Developing my confidence in dance is definitely my biggest goal that I would like to meet. The very first session we had was centered around the basic salsa footwork which we practiced several times throughout the course of the class, eventually building up a choreography which would carry on over to the rest of our classes. It was an enjoyable session as the class was comprised of mostly Grade  12 students, half of whom were day students and half of whom were boarders–we all vaguely knew one another but I was excited to form new friendships. 

Learning Outcomes:  1,2