IFP Session 2 Reflection Questions

Lego Activity

How did your role make you feel? Why did it make you feel this way?

Focused. The task I had was very simple and for the most part required very little thinking.
The task was to ensure the 2nd and 3rd layer only contained yellow bricks.

What actions did it make you want to take?

I only checked after everyone had finished that the pieces I needed were where I needed them.

7 Norms of Collaboration

Have you changed your opinion? Why / why not?

I think the importance and value of Data and Evidence became less pronounced as we couldn’t speak and there wasn’t really a conflict in thought or logic, but in intentions. So collectively agreeing to raise Assume Positive Intentions over Data and Evidence was more practical, particularly for this scenario.

What does this reveal about the challenges facing a peace-builder?

I think that sometimes we can get bogged down in Data and Evidence and in a race to acquire the facts that support our arguments and cause, forget that we are talking with real people and they can also, usually more effectively, be persuaded by words and gestures of authenticity and trust. Without assuming the best of intentions, people can see the presentation of facts as a way to deceive the public and mask the true nature of tasks. If someone wants to do authentic good, it requires a focus on human relations instead of presentation of facts.

CAS Reflection (IFP Session 1 & 2)

AWARENESS

How did you feel about the experience?

It is a fantastic opportunity to meet new like minded people who are also inspired and engaged with creating a better, more peaceful world and future. I’m excited about future sessions and after pandemic restrictions when we are able to engage in bigger group activities and also meet and get to know more people.

What went well? What did not go as planned?

Most of the activities run smoothly and I think everything we do is taken light heartedly. Such as fidgeting we do or the way our groups work, the teachers notice and playfully comment, raising our own awareness of possibly subconscious processes and behaviours.

If anything the discussion times don’t go as planned. Particularly with my group we prefer free form discussion, so when we are asked to try a particular technique, the group struggles to remain aligned with the structure of such conversations. We are also all very like minded so there is little conflict between each other. We for the most part fundamentally believe in the same things, morals and what not, but may not concur on extent of those beliefs or what action is justified because of those beliefs.

ANALYSIS

What happened? Why was it like this?

The sessions so far begin with getting into groups and then being prompted with a quote or question. We briefly discuss this, sometimes with a conversational structure to try. After there is usually a group activity usually with some form of conflict that might arise and then we discuss how the activity went and what that means in the bigger picture, how our behaviour might be extrapolated to larger and more serious interactions.

The reason to structure sessions like this, especially with proposed ways to structure conversations is to teach us different techniques that can create productive conversations and is inclusive of everyone, not just the people with the loudest voices. All in preparation for when we prepare the IFP event in the latter half of the year.

How did your team work together-or not?

The team works well together. We have similar beliefs and understanding and a balance of different personal views so the conversations aren’t too one sided, but also not different enough to cause serious conflict. We are able to agree on common ground and construct a shared belief.

What the group struggles with the most is probably engaging actively in the Norms of Collaboration. It is a difficult and long process, but it can be very obvious sometimes when we are not working together as effectively as if using the norms of collaboration. There is talking over one another and perhaps one of the more useful norms is rarely used even outside of structured conversations. In an age where everyone is constantly connected through one means or another, it is vital we take a moment every so often to pause, think, reflect and then reengage in more purposeful and meaningful conversations.

LO 1 (IFP Session 1 & 2)

What previous experience have I had with an activity like this?

In previous training events and activities at the school, I had previously been introduced to the Seven Norms of Collaboration many times. In all of those times we have had to rank/order the norms and then are given an activity to test our understanding and applicability of the norms.

What am I good at? What are my strengths?

I think I’m good at paying attention to others, usually when not speaking. It is very easy for a person speaking or heavily involved in the discussion to lose sight or awareness of others in the group, especially those more shy and less likely to interrupt, speak up or ask to speak. I believe it is a group responsibility to reign in any controllers and usually people just don’t notice and are happy to share the ‘spotlight’.

What would I like to improve?

Pausing. There is very little pausing. Usually we switch from one person to the next and there is very little if no pausing. We should make time to process the information we receive instead of jumping to the next point.

How has my involvement in this activity made me aware of my strengths and areas for growth?

It was another opportunity to reflect on the norms and measure my progress to adopt and apply them to real conversations and situations.

Have I improved and in what areas? How do I know?

Previously I wanted to focus more on paying attention to others, but I feel I have achieved a level of proficiency adequate for most group work. I know this because I can step back and check with every individual in the group, usually being able to observe when someone has something to say and using my turn to point out they may wish to say something.

Why have I struggled in some areas?

Other areas like pausing requires engagement from the entire group. If one person chooses not to use this norm, then they may A) continue to speak immediately after the previous person and/or B) take the silence as an indicator to continue speaking. This means I and a team may struggle to fully utilise the benefits of this norm as it can feel awkward or disruptive to wait before speaking, especially when a conversation gets heated.

Images from Session 2