Maths and Me: Student Homework

1

Your name and previous mathematics experience (IGCSE, MYP, FIB, any other course)

Justin Chan Zi Qian, IGCSE, Some Study of Previous IB Course

2

What might be some of the feelings that you associate with mathematics?

Mathematics is interesting to explore, sometimes it can be boring if things move too slowly

How do you feel about starting this course and why?

A little apprehensive – I’m unsure of the pace we’re going at, I’m also a little bit concerned about IAs

3

How do you like to learn mathematics?

Where would you put yourself on this continuum and why:

Very far to the left – to me, mathematics is most satisfying and really gets understood by me when I figure it out myself

4

What do you do when you are “stuck” in mathematics? 

In your past experiences, how have you successfully overcome such misunderstandings?

I’m willing to usually stick with problems for a long time to try and figure them out, if I can’t figure things out on my own, then I’ll seek out another source such as a teacher/friend/online and work through it with the help of that source until I feel secure in my understanding

5

Which one of the following skills is your biggest strength in learning mathematics?

A Problem Solver – My experience with mathematics has largely been with exploring problems and finding ways to solve them, so I’ve had a lot of practice with this skill
Which one might be the biggest area of focus for your mathematics in the first few weeks of Grade 11?

Collaborative – I sometimes find it difficult to work together with others on problems as I typically prefer to work alone

• A critical thinker
  • A problem solver
  • Inquiring/questioning
  • Creative
  • Innovative/Original
  • Imaginative
  • Curious
  • Interested
  • Adaptable
  • Persistent
  • A risk-taker
  • Collaborative
  • A leader
  • Organised
  • Flexible
  • A good communicator
  • A self-manager
  • Independent
  • Diligent
  • Organised
  • Responsible
  • Open minded
  • Optimistic
  • Confident
  • Self disciplined
  • Reflective
6

Is there anything else you want your maths teachers to know about you?

This was mentioned earlier in the task, but I do want to emphasise that I really feel that I am best able to do maths when I work through things on my own at my own pace as opposed to a another pace which might move at a different speed to that which I’m comfortable at

2 thoughts on “Maths and Me: Student Homework

• September 8, 2019 at 4:01 am
    Permalink

Thank you for sharing this Justin. You are already recognising your ability to work independently and the satisfaction this gives you. Awesome! You may well find yourself able to look ahead and self direct your progress through the course. Look out for practical ways to use and apply the maths you learn, ready for IAs. Maintain a regular study habit to stay on top of the theory and enjoy solving the problems you encounter.

Reply
  • September 8, 2019 at 4:00 pm
    Permalink

Thanks for your honest feedback Justin. Let’s keep the dialogue open and feed you the right challenges so that you have plenty to keep your interest levels high.

Reply