PSE Personality Types Reflection

My Personality Type is INTP.

A time my personality type has been shown at school is the fact that I am deeply cynical about personality types and personality tests, because skepticism is apparently a trait of being an INTP person.

Careers related to my personality type include most normal careers because actual evidence finds little to no difference in the distribution of personality types across occupations as compared to the distribution of personality types within a random sample of the population, and any so called association between personality type and career are arbitrary judgements made by companies who think that psychology buzzwords based on the work of some secretaries off of outdated psychology are an easy way to make a quick buck off of gullible people. Apparently, though, careers that tend to be associated with INTP are any careers to do with STEM fields, because when one wishes to abuse the Barnum effect, generic, common categories work the best. I am interested in STEM fields, as is a good chunk of the population given that the top 10 most popular jobs consistently involve either computer science such as software developer, systems analyst or medicine such as being a pharmacist of physician.

Strengths of INTP include: being creative, flexible and analytical, which are super specific strengths to have ascribed to me by this test.

One famous person who is an INTP is Sherlock Holmes from the 2010 BBC adaption the original stories. Yes, he is a fictional character, but I thought it appropriate given that we’re applying fictional labels.

1. Little Boxes: The dangers of categorisation and Myers-Briggs by Dave Snowden
  2. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® and Forer effect by Robert Todd Carroll
  3. Goodbye to MBTI, the Fad That Won’t Die by Adam Grant
  4. The Many Ways Science Has (Wrongly) Assessed Your Personality by Esther Inglis-Arkell
  5. Why The Myers-Briggs Personality Test Is Misleading, Inaccurate, And Unscientific by Drake Baer
  6. Top Five Weaknesses of StrengthsFinder by Dan Spira
  7. Debunking the Myers-Briggs personality test by Anthony Zurcher
  8. Why the Myers-Briggs test is totally meaningless by Joseph Stromberg
  9. The Forer (Barnum) Effect by Jesus Perez
  10. Something for Everybody: The Forer Effect by Robert Lamb and Joe McCormick
  11. Myers-Briggs, Leadership Training and EdTech by Joshua Kim
  12. The Pottermore Sorting Hat and the Myth of Personality Tests by Landon Whitsitt