Initial Service Reflection

Before signing up for MINDS, my service experience was limited to Coding for good and Fresh Fruit Friday. My skill sets were relevant as I was manging the logistical aspects of each service. So whilst in FFF I was responsible for alerting grade 9&10 mentor groups to bring more fruits on Friday so we could collect more fruit and whilst in Coding for good I was responsible for helping a project reduce food waste. So initially when signing up for service I wanted to do something different which would push me out of my comfort zone. I considered MINDS because firstly I believe I am well aware of the stigmatization people with intellectual disabilities face within Singapore as that was part of Global perspectives critical project. It would also challenge my collaboration skills as all the jobs I have taken so far don’t require other people to complete, whereas here I would have to work effectively in a group to come up with ideas and ways we can go about making sessions more effective. Secondly, I believe this would challenge me to be a better communicator and force me to be more outgoing as I would have to be more patient and mindful about the way I go about communicating, Secondly as someone as never who has never really danced before it would be an experience to go through this process. I think my ability to try new things with an open mind will be somewhat of an advantage as it will allow me to be more outgoing and my ability to listen and make suggestions will be beneficial when working in a large group.