Foundational Stories

Saar’s Presentation

Through my partners presentation I can identify several examples of how a particular foundational story has been retold, adapted, revisioned and alluded to. 

In Saar’s presentation he had several examples such as books and a TV show adaptation of the story of Ganesh. The TV show teaches people the importance of him. There is even a festival celebrating the god Ganesh called “Ganesh Chaturthi Festival.”

I can trace the changing significance of a particular story over time and across cultures. 

This story is very significant for the religion and culture of Hinduism. Having a TV show makes this story accessible to children and people of all ages. The god has three different names each with different significance and meaning to those who worship Ganesh.

-Remover of Obstacles

-Patron of Arts and Sciences

-Deva of Intellect and Wisdom

I can explain how and suggest why a foundational story has been adapted into popular culture/ revisioned within a particular cultural context.

The story is still in popular culture since it teaches how important Ganesh is and why he should be worshipped for those who are a part of Hinduism.