Cool Matters- Article Reflection

Article

“the most informed and connected generation yet—Gen Z.”

After looking at this Scattergraph I think that it does reflect what our generation thinks is cool and to an extent what brands I gravitate to.

Do you gravitate towards ‘cool’ and ‘aware’ brands?

I think that I do gravitate towards the more cool and aware brands, but at the same time I don’t only buy things or use things because I think they are cool or are ‘keeping up with the trends.’ Sure I am aware of what brands are cool and which ones aren’t and I do think that within reason it does affect my choices, however, I feel like it is not something that completely changes my mind about something.

1. Netflix- On the scattergraph, it is shown to be the 2nd most aware and cool falling behind Youtube. I use both, however it is not based on how popular they are it is based on what I want to watch, although this can be affected by what everyone else is watching.
  2. Whatsapp- Is considered quite aware but not cool, I think that of our generation WhatsApp is more of something that is practical and not something you use because you want to.
  3. Nike- I was surprised that it fell further behind Chrome and Oreo. Nike is considered to be cool however I wouldn’t say that it is super cool. According to the graph, it is also so much cooler than Lululemon and while it people may be more aware of Nike, I would say they are equally as cool.
  4. Oreo- I honestly have no idea why Oreo is so popular and considered cool, it’s just another snack food and I cannot see how it is more popular and cooler than Snapchat, Instagram, Spotify, GoPro, and Xbox. Yes, it might be equal in the awareness of the brand, however, I personally don’t think it is nearly as ‘cool’.
  5. Starbucks- I would think that Starbucks would be one of the most aware brands in the world as it has become such a global thing, however, for some cultures, Starbucks became very cool, but now other food brands have come into the picture and healthier options have become way more popular.

The rankings of some of these brands don’t surprise me, although there were a few like Oreo, Starbucks, Gatorade and Calvin Klein.

2 Replies to “Cool Matters- Article Reflection”

1. cheng19554@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

I do agree with some of your opinions, and I like how you connect the different information presented in the article to your own choices. However, I do feel that it would be helpful to talk about how the information is probably coming from the US, and they may have different opinions, and ways of thinking, such as in the case of Oreo.

2. daly13101@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

I like how you had analysed each brand and gave your own opinion based on what you personally feel, that helps people who read your post have a better insight into what you think rather than just a report on the article.