Christina Lau- Writers Fortnight

This was a really impactful talk which made me realise that in life you shouldn’t say that something won’t happen because anything can happen. You need to be able to adapt. 

I think that it was incredible at what she has managed to do with her painting. Going from someone who had never really painted to be able to paint with her mouth and her paintings were amazing. She was a really inspiring person to listen to and just hearing about her story and what she has been through and how she has turned her accident into something positive was really nice to hear.  

Something she said that stayed with me was “You have to tell yourself you can.” I think that the fact that she can paint with her mouth and play table tennis in a wheelchair because she told herself that she could is really amazing. Saying “you don’t know how far you can go unless you try.”

I think that before this talk I went in thinking that people who are disabled found it really really hard to do anything without help, however after listening to her speech I think that this isn’t always the case. I think that this is because there is a certain stigma surrounding being disabled and how they can no longer do anything by themselves. This is really not true especially for Christina Lau’s case. 

A question I never got to ask her was “What would you tell your past self after the accident happened?”