Foundational Story: The Chinese Zodiacs

I can identify several examples of how a particular foundational story has been retold , adapted, revisioned and alluded to.

In Janssen’s presentation on the Chinese Zodiacs, he has talked about the stories modern day relevance. The story has not been adapted too much, and remains very much the same as it was originally told. However many children books and Tv shows do retell the story. It was originally a myth in Chinese culture but now is more often just a children’s story.

I can trace the changing significance of a particular story over time and across cultures. 

There was not much information about the stories changing significance across different cultures, but its presumably because it is a culture specific story, as in only in Chinese culture and so there is no changing significance for this story in any other cultures. However the stories significance has changed throughout time in Chinese culture, it firstly was a myth in Chinese culture that was truly believed but over time has just become a story told to children.

How has the story been adapted over time and why?

The presentation didn’t exactly explain how it has been adapted over time, so I’m not exactly sure if it has or not. I would assume that because the story is now mostly only being told as a child story, that it has been lessened down to be less complex for children to comprehend.