Circuit Breaker – New Learning

Even though there have been many limitations through this circuit breaker I have still done activities I have never done before and learned new skills. For example, I have been reading a lot more than in the past before the circuit breaker as I have been finding myself to have much more time available. I think so far, for the majority of the teachers I have really appreciated how they keep in mind all the screen time we are doing throughout the day and therefore understand not to add more after our school day. Therefore, I have really started getting into reading and specifically this one book “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall has been a really enjoyable and educative book to read.

Born to Run is about this tribe called the Raramuri in the Copper Canyons, Mexico and the author describes how they have not been exposed to the development we have and therefore have stuck to their ancestry roots of running long distances. Christopher mentions more about their diet and how this helps them fuel their bodies with more energy to be able to run longer distances and in faster times than any ultramarathoner in the world today. I have always enjoyed playing sports and when I was younger cross country running was also something I enjoyed doing. However, as I got older, I started to enjoy it less as I thought it became too much of a competition and the running started getting much more repetitive and less fun for me to enjoy. However, by reading this book I started to remember the reasons I enjoyed running and therefore started looking at new places in Singapore I could go running whilst it still being enjoyable. I started going running at McRitchie Reservoir more regularly and not only found it enjoyable to be exposed to a new and very natural environment (something in my opinion rare especially in a developed country like Singapore), however, I started enjoying the running much more.

I have gotten really interested and passionate about “Born to Run” that I started researching aspects they talk about in the book. For example, running barefoot and how this can actually reduce the risk of injuries or having a plant-based diet and how it can lead to fewer diseases. I am about to start reading a new book on the specifics of running barefoot and how this could be achieved and as for the plant-based diet I have incorporated it into my learning in science.

In science we were asked to come up with a research question for a project we are working on and will be for a few more weeks. I saw the link between diseases and the biology aspect of science and decided for my research question to be; How can a plant-based diet reduce the risk of colorectal cancer? This is something which I have really been enjoying throughout this online learning situation as in some subjects we have been given a lot of freedom and therefore I have been able to incorporate new knowledge and new interests into my learning.