Piano ITP – Intermediate Reflection

Piano ITP – Intermediate Check-In

I decided to take piano lessons this year to develop a new skill, as well as explore my musical side much further. I’ve remained committed to this activity, attending each lesson with no fail, as well as dedicating some time at home to practice new songs. I’ve come to really enjoy piano and I’m really glad that I decided to pursue it this year.

My goal in the beginning was to be able to play the piano whilst singing, and after a few months of piano, I feel that this will take much longer than anticipated to achieve for two reasons; The first being that the current songs I’m learning to play aren’t songs with proper lyrics, and secondly, in order to progress to the more complicated songs, I must first master the basics ie. chords, scales, etc. However, with the great progress I’ve been making so far, I don’t see a reason as to why I wouldn’t be able to achieve this goal of mine by the end of the year. This is considering that I continue to allocate practicing time at home and attend my lessons regularly.

In light of the current Covid-19 situation, I am not able to attend my classes in person. However, I wanted to make sure that I remain involved with this activity, so my teacher and I have arranged for weekly Google Meet calls to continue lessons. I find that with all the extra time, I am dedicating much more time to learning new songs, so I am not too worried about slowing down my progress. Alongside the added time, my teacher is able to send me more new material to practice, so I am able to expand my music range.