English – My Language World Map

Below is my language world map that I have crafted. The most important features I chose to include were : Nationality, Where I grew up, my Language influences, the connection between culture, identity and language, how is speak with friends and family vs strangers, stereotypes, types of english, who owns english.

I chose these features because they are the ones that stood out the most to me, and that I can relate the most to. I found it necessary to include things that didn’t have much significance to me, or didn’t impact or effect me in any way. I wrote about these features in a way that made sense to me, and that I understood. So that when I read over my map again, I knew what I was saying, and what I was reading, because I had written it- it was my words, and my understanding displayed. Out of everything I included, I would say what matters the most to me would be my nationality, and the language stereotypes. Firstly I thought it was good because whilst crafting this map I realised that I learnt a lot about myself. Reflecting over where I have lived and where I cam from, really made me think about myself and my relationship with language. I was happy to have discovered more about myself. Secondly, although I have not personally experienced language stereotypes I find that it is something complex and hard for everybody to understand and accept. Throughout this unit I managed to explore about the types of stereotypes, and why people make them. I am happy I learnt about it because it was something I never had much knowledge about. Although these two factors stood out for me, I find that I had a general understanding of everything I covered, and could make general connections to each topic.

Why did I chose to design my mind map like this?

It took me a long time to think of something creative to do for my mind map. I had initially planned to do it online, though after some time I couldn’t think of anything creative, to really show and represent myself and my thinking. It is when I changed to handwritten mind map that I instantly thought about this design. I wanted it to be unique and something that had meaning to me. I really like how I thought about the lips in the centre. To me it shows MY mouth, with my freedom of speech. The speech bubbles outside are displaying my thoughts and what I think. This choice was purely based about myself, and how I would want people to read it. I didn’t want to make it simple with rectangles and circles, as to me it doesn’t represent YOUR thinking and your speech. Throughout this design I think I did well in representing that this is me speaking and my thoughts on Language.