AIDA Production – Reflection

What was effective? How did the theatre makers create effective moments?

What I found very effective throughout the whole performance was the use of props and lighting. For example, when the spotlight was put multiple times on Aida or Radamese, it really focused all of the audience attention onto those people; all the energy was put into that moment, and that place. The use of red and blue light to create a mysterious and unusual atmosphere also gave us a sense of change and unpredicted events to come ahead. Whereas the warm and light lighting indicated us the mood was usual and calm. I like the way they also used props. For example in the scene where the king was singing and all the princes (unsure of this scene) where dancing, they used the blocks for several uses, mainly for building a pyramid at the end and incorporating levels, but also when they were dancing the block proved to have different functions as they stood on it, did a handstand on it, and used it for several other purposes. Something else I found effective throughout the performance was the use of music. At times, the instruments would be used to create a mysetrious atmosphere and feeling, whereas at others, for example in songs sang in chorus, it really brought out each emotion portrayed in each scene. For example in the scene were the princess sings “A dress has always been my strongest suite” we could sense an emotion of joy and confidence not only through the emotions portrayed by acting, but by the rhythm and sounds that the music produced. This is also why I believe musicals bring out so much more than emotions, as they can portray them in more depth and create atmospheres, tones and different paces that can’t be portrayed in a regular production.

What could you adapt? What could you use?

From this production I think we could most importantly adapt from the choice of pace, space and lighting used. I liked how they used their space throughout the whole performance- at times confined, whereas at others more spread out. It really portrayed the kind of setting, wether it was in the palace with all the slaves, or by sea on the little boats. We could adapt from this by similarly reflecting on how we want the setting to be percieved, through our choices of linearity and spacing. Secondly I like their use of pace, for example at times in chorus they would speak really fast, or i a worried tone. It varied throughout the performance. We could adapt from this by experimenting through fast changing emotions, making those transitions effective. From the production we could also reflect on the way they emphasised their emotions, and apply it to Metamorphosis by emphasising it to larger extent, to really bring out an un naturalistic effect. Making our actions quick, then slower could portray vast changes in atmosphere. The way the actors coordinated themselves, in synchronised movements also appeared affective, and we could adapt from this by using synchronised movements in a particular pace to emphasise what we are trying to show the audience. Lastly, I would adapt to the use of lighting. Throughout this production we further learnt the great importance of lighting and the impact it has on the mood and setting of our piece. I would definitely take away their use of colour and shade of lighting to adapt it to the kind of mood we try to portray in each of our scenes. It would have an enhanced effect on our scene and draw the audience’s attention greatly.

What would you do differently? What elements might you think carefully about in your work?

In our performance we will most likely use less music, as we only want to use it at certain times to emphasise a moment or expression, unlike AIDA where when music isn’t played, it most likely indicates an important part of the story.  In the production I also feel as if they were telling the story whilst showing it, as there were many lines and songs to it, however in Metamorphosis I would really like to focus on expressing those movements through exaggerated actions, rather than constantly using voice and narration to tell the story. I would like to focus more on show- not tell, in which differentiates to AIDA where the most part was narration and singing, in which is just as good although portrays a message differently. Throughout our work in Metamorphosis I will also think carefully about capturing the audience’s attention, at all times. There mustn’t be a phrase or movement which lies un necessary or irrelevant. Wether we do so through exaggerated actions or forms of speech, I will ensure that our performance is constantly engaging the audience alike Aida, where such colours, sounds and actions really attracted the audience attention, focusing and fascinating them at all times, whilst also leaving them in doubt or curiosity of what will happen next.

Related image