Environmental sustainability – food waste & composting

I have always been highly involved in sustainability practices and consider saving the environment a very important priority in my life. This is also why I hope to study physical geography and environmental sciences in the future.

I think composting is a great solution towards reducing food waste. It is simple and effective in the long term as it only requires a limited amount of resources. Nonetheless, one of the issues I have is living in a condo, making this practice difficult to implement. I only have a balcony to place my compost/pot for growing and it could eventually provoke smells that would disrupt neighbours. I am also limited on space in the apartment I have. Therefore, I would highly encourage citizens who live in spacious apartments or houses, to implement this action.

For people like me who live in condominiums, I would be more lenient towards urban farming. In fact, right next to my house I observed there was a small urban farm called Hort Park gardening hub. I was surprised by all the types of herbs and vegetables that were growing within such a relatively small area. Giving that it is of walking distance from my house I also figured it would be practical to be involved with this gardening. Although I am not sure if the gardening products are sold, I think it is a very good idea to have included this aspect of sustainability in the middle of a populated area in Singapore. I really hope to be able to purchase goods from there as I would feel very satisfied contributing to a zero carbon footprint movement. This would also encourage the local people who keep this farm going, to work.

Therefore, if food composting is unable to be done, I think we should all start to look at where the local farms or gardening spaces are. We should definitely make better use of them as not only does this contribute to limited carbon emissions comparatively to when we buy imported products, but it also enables a stronger bond within the community and encourages local people to work.