I am now well into season 2 of Urban Gardening. In this reflection, I would like to focus on the connection between my service and the Sustainable Development Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.

Learning outcome: LO6 Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.

Previously, I have always been very curious and interested in how to live sustainably and the impact our actions have on the environment. Climate change and global warming have been issues at the forefront of my mind for a long time. Only this year have I been lucky enough to find an opportunity at school that has allowed me to learn more about sustainable living but discovers ways I can make a personal impact on how I live in regard to these things. In being in urban gardening it has opened my eyes to ideas such as the Circular economy and urban gardens.

A circular economy is an economic system aimed at eliminating waste and the continual use of resources. This provides an alternative to a traditional linear economy that is structured as: make –> use –> dispose. A circular economy attempts to use everything we have to the extreme, reducing our chances of over consumptions and waste. This idea is new to society but has been taken on by many as a way of combatting increasing global environmental issues. This idea holds a lot of value to me as I have been lucky enough to grow up around beautiful landscapes and environments such as Thai Land and South Africa. I have development in my upbringing an immense love and admiration for the biodiversity of our world. However, I only developed a passion for attempting to save it, after going to UWC and researched into the ways in which it is being affected by human society. Being a part of Urban Gardening has allowed me to not only nurture my love for the outdoors and nature, but providing a way for more to develop my skills in sustainable practices and learn the actions I can continue to do in my future that too combats these global issues. Urban gardening uses the idea of the circular economy by providing the school and communities within the school a sustainable and clean way of obtaining resources that may be of use to them. For example, I have planted Butterfly Pea plants that produce these blue flowers that can be used as a natural dye, and a water infuser. These have been used by the art department as a way of attempted to reduce the amount of paint wasted, and by the service Sustaina Brew for naturally infusing they’re drinks. I have ensured that I am containing my actions to that of the circular economy as all the products are natural and therefore can be returned to the environment and the garden through fertilizer, and have been clear in how much I am planting so that the maximum amount can be used.

Another way of combating these global issues that have been brought to my attention through my service is the use of urban gardens. Singapore is an extremely modern city, with sky scrappers and highrise buildings around every corner. And with the extreme rate of development that can be seen in society today, it is clear this trend will not only continue but increase immensely in the future. For this reason, exploring the ways in which we can continue to be sustainable with our resources in something of huge importance for me personally. My service experience has opened my eyes to urban gardens. Urban gardening, also known as urban horticulture or urban agriculture, encompasses techniques of maintaining gardens and natural products in an urban setting. For example on roofs or sides of buildings. Or in a more personal sense, in small spaces or environments. This is a skill that I think it very useful to me as I can use it in the future of apartment buildings or university flats.