Service – Lighthouse Motor Skills Development (Initial Post)

Before signing up for my local service this year, I gave immense thought and consideration to the skills I have garnered over the course of my service education. Having participated in a diverse range of services,  with each requiring a unique and diverse skill set, I discovered that many of these capabilities could be transferred to the local service I am currently working with; Lighthouse Motor Skills Development. For example, in the service I worked with last year named Capturing East, I developed a multitude of communicational skills, as our main task was to bring awareness to the dehumanised migrant workers in our school in an efficient, yet also effective manner. I did not anticipate the skills I gained during that experience to be as pertinent as they are in my current service. I say this because the majority of our first season in Lighthouse has entailed investigating the very purpose of the service itself as well as planning our various activities with the children for when we eventually meet with them. The main objective of our service this year is to interact, assist and play with the children from Lighthouse in a manner they find comfortable and enjoyable. As I mentioned earlier, I found my communicational skills to be exceptionally useful in this stage of the service as I was able to express my thoughts regarding the direction of the service as well as my ideas concerning the activities I believed the children would actually find fun. Our service has a very open and free-flowing class dynamic, encouraging everyone to speak their mind. I find that this has allowed me to further reinforce the collaborative and leadership skills I had built in my previous experiences working with new third parties.