Filter Bubbles and the UWCSEA Learner

Think digital and media literacy don’t need to be a priority?

Either we can use social media to reinforce filter bubbles, or to break them: here are a few tools to help you do the latter:

1. POLITECHO

check out the Google Chrome Extension here.

The app assigns each of your friends a score based on our prediction of their political leanings then displays a graph of your friend list. Then it calculates the political bias in the content of your news feed and compares it with the bias of your friends list to highlight possible differences between the two.

2. FLIPFEED 

For example, a right-leaning user who uses FlipFeed may load and navigate a left-leaning user’s feed, observing the news stories, commentary, and other content they consume. The user can then decide to flip back to their own feed or repeat the process with another feed.

3. READ ACROSS THE AISLE

4. ESCAPE YOUR BUBBLE

We need to make a stronger effort to understand the arguments of our political opponents. We need to be more accepting of the views of our political opponents.

5. ECHO CHAMBER CLUB

We have taken an identifiable group, and instead of creating content that will appeal to that group, we offer content that we believe won’t appeal to that group. Which is extremely unusual. I make it my mission to try and show you the opinions and stories from groups that rarely make it to your cognition.

6. ALL SIDES

On first visiting AllSides I find myself drawn in directions I don’t normally take – towards right-wing pieces, from sites like the National Review, the Washington Times or Fox News.

Not only is this disorienting – it’s unnervingly refreshing. (read full post here)

Interested in having a longer conversation about filter bubbles?