A Dolls House

One thing important about the 19th century is the social society structure. Higher standards are placed on those that are born in a higher class. Because there was a very heavy standard put in place I think that it is safe to assume that there was lots of masking involved as it can be hard to maintain such levels if not possible for the family/group/person. There is also the potential to increase your living standards on getting somewhere higher on the social class due to the great economic boom from 1843 to 1875. It is good because now you could be born in the lower class but be able to enter the higher class through education and hard work. It is important because now people are not stuck in one place. The society was also formed more by men giving men more freedom and a advantage than the female. This will probably cause lots of masking to happen and it also is something that is probably very relevant to the plot of The Doll House. Respectability became more important (in my opinion) in the middle class because the middle-upper class was seen as a very high class and that respectability became more important because it better represented that class. I think another reason would be to show the distinctly middle-class people. Because the middle class was becoming bigger it is harder to stand out from the group because then everyone would follow the same standards and so I think that that respectability became more important to show more distinction in the group. I think that also when it comes to the women the respectability is much more important to the pride of the family as women were there to help the man and so it would be very bad if the women did something wrong. I do not really know as these are just some things that I pulled out from the background of Norway but I think that the women respecting the man is important as they would become more distinct and would be given more respect which (I think) would give them more advantages.