Unpacking Visual and Lexical Elements

If this were my IO task, I would plan my points more, just to make sure everything was organised, by following the format. I would also like to link back to the question more and make sure my points are clear and concise.

Rewritten:

After unravelling the texts on pages 22 and 23, we had come to a question around the basis of “How is the imagination of a female identity shaped through visual elements in texts?” Our inquiries had entailed 4 different points in which we unpacked our evidence, and based our analysis on. We first looked at the idea of challenging the characters identity, and the social context of this. The ways in which characters are challenged is on page 23, where it says “With my heart jumping like a little boy in a sack race.” This may allude to the plot where Norma is a man, that cross dresses. Her heart jumps as if she were seen by society to be a boy. In the 1970s, it was very uncommon for men to cross dress, society’s idea of image was very black and white, whereas the contrast to nowadays, there is a grey area. The other point we had looked at was the idea of perfectionism. Norma wanting to perfect herself and her constant need of being prim and proper. On page 23, she says “A pair of raucous red boulevard court shoes with daintily styled baby doll toes and mid way for up to the minute elegance.” Everything she says here, connects to her perception of magazines and the way women should think and dress. She feels as though she needs all these materialistic items to show she is a woman, and not make society think any different of her, otherwise she feels that they’d think less of her. The second point we had breached towards was the constant need of approval from society. From the evidence stated above, it can be seen that Norma needs the approval of society to be considered a woman. She can’t be seen as anything different, otherwise it’d be dangerous for her. The constant need of society’s approval is still an ongoing message carried on nowadays, it’s been embedded into the younger generations brains that there is a need of acceptation by a societal group. Norma has embedded this in her mindset by looking through magazines and a woman’s perfect and ideal image.