Culturama

The whole process of Culturama has been an emotional rollercoaster. I’ve been doing Culturama since grade 9, and every year I’ve been amazed by the hard-work and dedication people put into the performances. So far, this year’s Culturama, has been the most memorable one yet. Not only have I built friendships with people I’d never spoken to, but during the process, I was a part of a small version of a family. Culturama this year started out with me auditioning with 250 people for one dance, and luckily, I was selected as one of the 19 for the dance. Not only did I take that as a sign of being grateful, I took that as a sign of seeing my hard-work turned into success. Alessia, being a dance leader I looked up-to, and someone who I’ve worked with for the past 2 years, it was amazing to work with her again, and learn from her. I started out being very nervous and anxious, as I was with a group of people who I heard of and knew, but I had never spoken to either of them. I’m an outgoing person and I tend to try and create friendships, successful or not. As I started to build relationships with these different individuals, I was getting a feeling of this group having a long term connection with me. As Culturama started to end, I was already becoming nostalgic. I reminisced of great moments during rehearsals, and meeting these amazing people outside of school and practice. Then came the last week of Culturama, and our first time performing on that stage. The energy given off by everyone on my dance, gave me hope and happiness. I can say, I have never felt more confident and care-free whilst dancing. Dancing is my passion, to everyone, I’m known to be a dancer, and I’ve danced all my life, but that moment of dancing on stage with these people, so people could see the power and determination we had to perform our best, it was incredible. This Culturama has taught me a lot. It’s taught me to be more confident and believe in myself, I have had many moments of self doubt and it’s affected my performance as a learner, whether it be academics or activities. This Culturama, it’s been evident enough for me to realise that I am capable of anything.