Why Gen Z need to break out of the filter bubble

People think that the whatever we search, Google will give us we want. But is this really the case? There is something known as the “filter bubble”, in which whatever we search, instead of Google giving us what we want, it will give us what it thinks we want, which could lead to giving us things we don’t want to see or giving us results that are one-sided. If Google sees that we like doing one thing, then it will give us results similar to that thing, instead of something. We simply won’t be able to see results that we want to see because of this filter bubble due to it giving us results that may not be what we are searching for. Gen Z is being influenced by these filter bubbles. Gen Z is being exposed only to potentially one-sided information, without showing us any other information. We talked in class about how if you’re a left-wing person, you’ll get information about how bad Donald Trump is, but if you’re right-wing, then you’ll get results about how good Donald Trump is. While Google is trying their best to entertain us and give us things it thinks it wants us to see, sometimes those things may not impose a positive impact on us.

2 thoughts on “Why Gen Z need to break out of the filter bubble

• February 5, 2018 at 3:33 am
    Permalink

That is a good statement and I agree with you although I think you should have included the example of our unit two gpers assessment when the filter bubble could have been a major problem. This is because of all of the different perspectives we needed to see to get a good grade.

Reply
  • February 5, 2018 at 3:39 am
    Permalink

I feel frightening Google only gives us information we want. Before studying about the ‘filter bubble’, I thought Google will give us every kind of information that is on the Internet and never doubted about it. Now, however, since I found Google eliminates information that we must not like according to our searching history, I am also aware that Google potentially has the danger making us narrow-minded. Great post!

Reply