Exploring Active Lifestyles

Reflection 1 – October 18th, 2019

Active Lifestyles is a recent activity that has been introduced to the school. The idea of it is to bring an opportunity for students to do some form of physical exercise during their free blocks, as PE is not something that IB students do.  Active Lifestyles allows students to independently work on their own fitness, which is something that I really enjoy.

I’ve been focusing a lot on my cardiovascular ability because I feel that it has a lot of benefits for me in multiple aspects of my life. For one, I’ve recently learned that my family has a history of heart problems, so being able to improve the condition of my heart will be a good step towards combatting the issue when the time arises. Furthermore, being able to efficiently transport oxygen to my brain and to my muscles allows me to stay focused while I play competitive video games which is my passion and hobby. I always strive to improve my mechanical ability when playing these games and being able to be healthy will make it much better. It’s because of this that I am really looking forward to continuing my physical activity.

#CAS #LO3 #Perspectives #Lookingforward

Reflection 2 – November 6th, 2019

After a few weeks of doing this activity, I got motivated to continue working on my health. So far I’ve also started working on my posture. I recently got a new chair at home that fits me more and allows me to comfortably position myself well, and I’ve started taking more notes on my posture and paying more attention to when my posture is bad.

Within the activity itself I’ve really started to enjoy independence. I’m not pressured to work more than I need to and I can start slow and allow my body to get used to the increased intensity.

I’ve definitely started to feel better emotionally as well because of worrying less about my health now that I’ve started to actively work to improve it. I hope that this can continue and I can further improve my health.

#CAS #LO3 #Perspectives #Lookingforward

Reflection 3 – January 24th, 2020

The December break disrupted the rhythm I had created for doing Active Lifestyles. I noticed after the December break it was much harder to motivate myself similarly to how it was at the beginning of the year. On top of having many assignments recently, it’s been very tempting to spend the time working on my assignments rather than being active.

I forgot about paying attention to my posture, so that’s something that I’m going to have to work on again to make sure that I actively pay attention to it.

As of now I’m still working to maintain my health, and I’m not currently putting any effort to drastically improve it, but perhaps that can be a goal for the future. Hopefully, the motivation will return soon.

#CAS #LO2 #Challenges #climbingmountains

Reflection 4 – February 25th, 2020

One of the ways that I’ve been able to keep up my motivation is exploring different ways of working out. I found that just running all the time for my cardio was quite mundane and boring, which caused me to lose some motivation. However, I remember that during GCSE one of the things I really enjoyed doing was boxing, and I specifically remember how good it was for cardio. I decided to do some research and figure out some routines related to boxing, and I found it to be a really good alternative to the mundane running exercises.

Hopefully, this is one of the steps that I am taking towards improving my health further.

#CAS #LO4 #commitment #justkeepswimming

Reflection 5 – May 4th, 2020

The circuit breaker has once again disrupted the rhythm that I had created for doing Active Lifestyles. Staying indoors all day and having no real reason to go outside has created an environment where I don’t feel very motivated to work out.

I will need to look into finding time to go outside, or even just to look for time to do some exercise in my own home, especially considering how remote learning has caused the amount of physical exertion per day to decrease.

One thought on “Exploring Active Lifestyles

• March 3, 2020 at 12:31 am
    Permalink

It’s really nice how your reflections have shown your development in the activity. It’s also really good how you got back and made yourself more motivated. Maybe next time, try exercising in the December break! That would keep up your progress. However, really good self-awareness that you noticed this lack of motivation. Good job!

Reply