Tips for studying.

People study in different ways, for example, they make flash cards, or some others may make a little song to memorise things.

But what is the purpose of studying? Does getting bad grades mean you don’t study? I believe that is not true. Some people may have a harder time understanding something. However, this does not mean that you are allowed to procrastinate and still get good grades. Most people expect that the more you study, the higher your grades, for example on this graph:

We can see it has a positive linear relationship, and this is true, however, if you do not balance your study and free time hours, and leave everything to the last night, then on the test you may do well however you will quickly forget that information you learned while as others who practised a little bit every night would have remembered this information much longer and it would be useful to them the following year.

Here are some of the best tips I can think of:

• Organise your time. Plan out your day, make sure you have at least one hour every day dedicated to just studying. This will prevent you staying up many hours on nights because you would be getting assignments due weeks ahead done already.
  • Have a positive attitude. If you have no interest in the subject, then look forward to finishing the homework and then getting that feeling of having lots of free time.
  • Concentrate! If you give one hour a day dedicated to studying, use that hour down to it’s second! Do not keep extending when you are going to start studying. If you start then the hour will finish up much quicker then you think. It’s good to have a specified hour where you have to study throughout it, I recommend if you get home at 4:00 then study from 4:30 – 5:30, or even better 4:00 to 5:00. If you get it over quickly, then you will have the full day to spend doing whatever you want.
  • Have lots of sleep! You need to have the energy to put into work throughout the day. Most people say get 7-8 hours of sleep, but it’s okay if you need more. I get tired when I get home from school when I get 7 hours of sleep, which is why I try to get 8-9 hours.

In the end, it all comes down to how you approach what you are about to do, whether it be studying or something else. It doesn’t matter if you are good or bad, what matter is your attitude, how focused and determined you are, but if you are passionate on getting better and are ready to put the work into it, then these tips will really help you.

One thought on “Tips for studying.

1. From Kai and Ran: This is very clearly organized in bullet notes, with an explanation and background before it. The post is well written, with an unconventional title that does work, surprisingly. I do wonder if you use these methods yourself, and how effective you personally find each method.

Reply