What Role Does Poetry Play in My Life?

To be honest, I’m not super into reading and writing poetry for leisure, however, I do see how it can be a really important thing to turn to in the right times. For me, one thing that I really like about poetry, in particular, is how ambiguous/nuanced it can be, and how it can take the form of almost everything. Some people even say, ‘poetry is everything’… Unlike other texts, poetry gives you complete freedom to make your own meaning. Whilst reading a novel for instance, to a certain extent you are getting direct messages about what the author wants to feel/know, whereas, in poetry, there is always a sense of uncertainty. Related to this, I like how it’s harder to say something is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ poetry, do it’s harder for someone to diss what you write in English class 🙂 In terms of when I turn to poetry, the most frequent thing I do would be listening to songs with interesting lyrics that come across in all genres of music. Whether these are sad or uplifting lyrics, I find that they just help to almost ‘confirm’ what I’m feeling at that time, and perhaps amplify it to a degree.