Lady Macbeth’s Progression of Character

As we have analysed the behaviour of Lady Macbeth throughout both Act 1 and 2, it is clear to see that numerous sides of her character have been revealed that we weren’t initially exposed to. In her first appearance in Act 1, Macbeth refers to her as his “dearest partner in greatness” (1. 5. 2). This signifies that at this point in time, they are working as a single unit to achieve a goal. However, as events unfold, one may determine that her motives become more self-centred. This is displayed through her increasing lack of patience with her husband. For example, when Macbeth doesn’t want to go back to see the crime he committed, she remarks about him – “Infirm of purpose!” (2. 2. 53)

Working along the same lines, it was also pointed out that Lady Macbeth experiences a change in pronouns as time progresses. Where she once said “it will make us mad” (2. 2. 33-34), only moments after she starts using ‘I’ and ‘me’. She attacked Macbeth in saying “My hands are of your color, but I shame To wear a heart so white.” (2. 2. 64-65). In essence, her true feelings and intentions towards Macbeth become much more ruthless as she purposefully degrades at his sense of pride and bravery. Now that they’ve gotten so far with the deed, she feels more comfortable asserting her dominance over him. Perhaps this is also driven by an increasing hunger for her own desire of the thrown.

All this being said, Shakespeare does drop hints that after all, Lady Macbeth isn’t a ‘bad person’, just driven by blind ambition. Prior to the death of Duncan, she says to herself “Had he not resembled My father as he slept, I had done ’t” (2. 2. 12-13). This suggests that Lady Macbeth is capable of expressing remorse, and does have a heart for others than herself. It is to what extent she uses Macbeth as her little puppet that shows her ability to empathize.