ALIS Diagnostic Testing

After taking the ALIS diagnostic test, I feel as though I could definitely get a gauge of my strengths and weaknesses in terms of logic, rather than my ability to memorise which is often what it often feels like in school-based tests. I believe that there is some truth to the results of the test, however I’m not willing to trust its ability to predict exam scores or measure intellect as a whole. I believe the activities that were included within the test were quite limited in terms of testing certain cognitive abilities (eg. process of elimination or finding synonyms), but didn’t cater for other processes (eg. ability to make meaning from a text/comprehension). As a result, I don’t think it is entirely representative. Additionally, I felt that the time-pressured aspect hindered me from thinking to the best of my ability as I felt under pressure to move on quickly. Overall however, it provided me with a new measure of my abilities to learn in an abstract way, therefore I felt it was a worthwhile test to take.