Gymnastics and T&F CAS Reflection 8 (#LO2)

The past week was a very sport intensive one; I signed up both to do an impromptu track and field competition, and then I also had National Championships on the weekend. I was initially hesitant to participate in the track and field meet as the last time I had practiced for one was in middle school, however after getting some of my friends to join, I realised that there was nothing to lose and it would be a thrilling experience. Although my gymnastics podium training was directly before the meet, I decided to give it my all it both activities. Rather surprisingly, I ended up placing first in the high-jump. I only managed to jump 140cm which is the same as my middle school height, however having had no preparation I was proud of the outcome. My friends and I also signed up for the 4x100m relay race in which we had no preliminary knowledge of going into. Even though this was quite a rash decision and we ended up last place, we all agreed that it was an extremely fun event, and that we would have succeeded if we were to get some training in for the hand-overs of the baton. For this reason, we are planning to do some practice before a bigger meet approaching in March. Track and field aside, National Championships became my top priority. I must admit that I set rather low expectations for myself going into the competition due to the fact my last competition was a year ago, and that my ankles were injured from landing short on vault training. As a result, my primary goals were to land my Tsukahara on vault, to land my front full twist on floor, and to achieve my giants in my bar routine. To my satisfaction, I met all three of these goals, and even ended up winning the silver medal for vault. All around I placed fourth, missing the bronze position by just over 0.1 of a mark. Ordinarily this would have preyed on my mind for a long time, however I came away from the competition feeling content with my performance having met my objectives. With just two weeks before SEASAC, I aim to maintain these standards and perhaps go for a couple of new skills in my routines, regardless of the outcome.