Meet the Leadership Team

Interviewee Question Answer
Arnav General Bio

(Year, student/teacher, how many years in GET)

G11 Student 

Current Finance manager

Joined this year 

What interests you about the ocean or conservation? Its importance to the world’s ecosystem and its dynamic nature 
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC? It is sadly one of the only environmental GC’s at our school and I was passionate to contribute to the cause of the environment 
What do you bring to the group? My finance abilities and being able to  keep track of things in an organised manner 
Why did you apply for your position? I was highly motivated to help make a difference in the GC by using my abilities and past experiences in helping with finance and selling products to help us fundraise and keep track of our products

Refer to our inability to do so in the past 

What progress in the group are you most excited for? Our ability to acquire new stuff that we can actually sell to raise money for our cause of saving the oceans!!
Iman  General Bio

-G11 Student

-Current Chair

-Joined in G8 (3rd Year)

What interests you about the ocean or conservation? -Coming from Malaysia, I have first hand experience regarding the effects of neglecting ocean conservation 
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC?
What do you bring to the group?
Why did you apply for your position?
What progress in the group are you most excited for?
Arjun  General Bio

I am a grade 11 student and am the current co-vice chair of the GC. This is my 6th year of Gili eco trust after I joined in grade 5.
What interests you about the ocean or conservation? The ocean and marine life in general has always been a passion of mine ever since I was young, as my family introduced me to the wonders of the ocean through snorkelling at a young age. This has grown into a hobby of mine in snorkelling and diving. Having glimpsed what the ocean can offer, and knowing that it is at risk is what brought me to GET, as I wanted to help in any way I could. 
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC? I chose Gili Eco Trust over other GC’s that I was looking to join in grade 5 firstly due to my passion for the ocean, but also because after some research I found that their methods of combating coral destruction were fascinating. The concept of sinking a metal structure under the water and running an electric current through it to accelerate coral growth is still something I get excited about I am explaining it to someone. And Gili being able to convert a local society that once made it’s living off of dynamite and cyanide fishing into one that promotes ecotourism has benefitted both the environment and the lives of the individuals that live there.
What do you bring to the group? Some things that I bring to the group are that I have a commitment to this GC that I place very highly, and am able to lead and direct other students to work in a more effective manner. I offer ideas to groups that are struggling with their tasks and move around trying to help whenever I can. 
Why did you apply for your position? I applied for this position after being logistics manager for 2 years, in both grade 9 and 10, as I felt that I could use my skills that I developed while in that job, as well as my dedication to the GC to try and help lead the GC into a place where we can take initiative to make as much of an impact as possible.
What progress in the group are you most excited for? What I am currently most excited (and worried) about is the introduction of new products to the GC, for the past 5 years we have been taking GC made products from Bali sharks and GET and selling those, and now we have an opportunity to find and sell a different sustainable product.
Mr. Brooks  General Bio

I have been working with the Gili Eco Trust GC for 5 years, and am now entering my sixth year here. I teach IB Physics and Theory Of Knowledge. 
What interests you about the ocean or conservation? I have lived by the ocean since I was 12, so I have a very personal connection to the sea. Initially, I was interested in general conservation and  climate change activism and was looking for an environmentally focused GC. Reducing my carbon footprint is very important to me.
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC? Gili Eco Trust was the only environmentally focused GC available at the time, and it was focused on things that I care about; like the climate, environment and animal conservation. 
What do you bring to the group? I am the supervisor of the group. I kept it going when, one year, it almost died out. I’ve been the supervisor for 5 years now, and have kept it going since the very start of the group. 
Why did you apply for your position?
What progress in the group are you most excited for? Trying out a lot of events, but now swimdonesia is huge. Gili trip saw the NGO. uwc reef* horse work, the island has no cars, no fresh water NGO is working on education.  Work with the products
Ms. Davies  General Bio

I am a Science teacher, teaching IGCSE Co-ordinated Sciences, IB Biology, and IB Environmental Systems and Societies)
What interests you about the ocean or conservation? I’ve always lived by the sea, and so in University I got a degree in University. I have a personal connection to the ocean. 
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC? In my second year at UWC East, I joined Gili Eco Trust because it was a way to relive University days and stay connected to the ocean. 
What do you bring to the group? I’m very practical, and I like to make new ideas or facilitate them in students. At events, I oversee the finances and make sure things run smoothly. I also bring my scientific knowledge and grown-up perspective. 
Why did you apply for your position?
What progress in the group are you most excited for? I would really like to see the group expand beyond just fundraising; I believe we could have work more on raising awareness in the community. Firstly in the school community (including teachers and parents) and then maybe our greater Singapore community.
Oscar General Bio

I am currently a Grade 11 student at UWCSEA and I have been a part of both the middle and high school GC for a little more than 3 years. I am currently co-vice chair. 
What interests you about the ocean or conservation? I would prefer to use the word worried rather than what interests me about the ocean and conservation as I have pretty much always been worried and increasingly so in my teenage years about the environment due to the importance and significance it has on humans and our lives. The ocean has a big impact on our lives, and many of us, live in coastal cities and our diet consists of seafood especially where I am from in Sweden. 
Why did you choose Gili Eco Trust GC? I chose Gili Eco Trust because I wanted to join a GC in middle school, however, Gili Eco Trust was the only GC that had its main focus on the environmental sustainability which is why I joined. In addition, I had been to the Gili islands and was also a diver and like to swim, so despite it being the only one, ocean conservation like many other areas of environmental sustainability was a deep worry of mine, especially the coral reefs which is what we are working on to maintain and in fact grow at Gili Eco Trust. 
What do you bring to the group? Although quiet and sometimes unconfident, I have always brought my dedication and commitment to the GC as well as my organised and productive skills. 
Why did you apply for your position? I knew that I wasn’t able to become chair, mainly due to my unconfidence but I still wanted to improve my confidence and communication skills, so vice-chair seemed the perfect fit. 
What progress in the group are you most excited for? So far, it is the swimdonesia event. In grade 9 when we joined the event with surf aid and Jakarta street kids, the event was not exciting, but now it is quite a big event especially for primary school and even middle school.