My UWCSEA Learning Journey

Ella Griffiths

Elena & Izzy

I think the dynamic between Elena and Izzy is really fascinating to read and see in the book and the TV-show. From the very beginning it’s evident to see that Elena is this controlling figure who needs and desires for everything to be perfect in her life. Her status and sense of class in Shaker Heights forms this unrealistic perception of her, everyone thinks of her as a “superhero” and this kindhearted women who helps all people, where as we know her to be a women who controls her whole families as if they are her puppets. I think for Izzy it’s harder, as she wants to discover who she is and do her own thing, but her mum just wants her to be mini version of herself.  Many people say rules are mean’t to be followed but I think it can be the opposite. When people set so many rules an urge to break them forms, and for Izzy she knows that her mum gets annoyed at her when she does things she isn’t. So by Izzy giving herself the nickname of “Izzy”,  wearing black goth like clothes and cutting her hair, she is just annoying her mum, making Izzy feel more in control. In this particular scene we see Izzy being forced to wear a dress to her orchestra recital and when we see Izzy on the stage she isn’t playing her instrument and instead turns around facing the audience with the words ” I am not your puppet” written on her forehead. We see Elenas frustration in her facial expressions and the way she glares. back at her daughter, however we know all she cares about is her image and her families image so her real frustration is that everyone else see’s this. I think whats really sad about Elena and Izzy’s relationship is how Elena doesn’t care about Izzy’s happiness and doesn’t care about her growing up to be the women she wants. Instead Elena has her under her control and forces her to do, say and wear things for the satisfaction she gets from her image in doing so. But ultimately Izzy is the way she is because of Elena, she’s a rule breaker because her mother is too controlling, she’s seen as a lunatic because she wants to be different and doesn’t want to fake being who she is for her mothers gain.

Next Post

Previous Post