PSE So Far

The PSE units we have done so far include:

Identity

Who are you? how do others see you? How would your friends describe you? How do you see yourself? 

I think others would see me as a friendly person and because of this, I am quite approachable and trustworthy. I think that as a quite self-aware person, the opinions on myself align mostly with how my friends might see me. I think that although people might see me as an extrovert, I would consider myself more of an ambivert. Sometimes I prefer to just be alone rather than to interact with others, sometimes all I want to do spend time with others.

At times I can be quite funny, but I also have times where I am very serious.

My working group: Paying attention to detail

However, out of all the groups (Acting, Speculating, Caring and Attention to detail), I think its hard to label myself as being a pa

ideal’ personality types – conscientious, curiosity, adjustment, risk approach, competitiveness

Emotional Intelligence

Understanding own emotions and how they are reflected towards others. It is also how you recognise emotions in other people – empathy.

Here is an article by the Times on the behaviours of emotional Intelligence

• you appreciate what you have
  • you disconnect from technology
  • you don’t let people limit the joy in your life
  • you get enough sleep
  • you stop negative self-talks
  • you don’t seek perfection
  • you don’t hold grudges

How am I going to improve my EI?

Overall I think that I have quite a high emotional intelligence. I think that it is definitely an important factor when it comes to success. In order to improve my Emotional Intelligence, I think that I should work on getting more sleep and disconnecting from technology because as of right now, I think I spend more time than I need to on it.

GRIT:

The ability to do something over a sustained period of time

• long term thinking+ self control

Where are some areas where I might need to show GRIT and self control?

I think working in general and staying organised will need me to use GRIT because I procrastinate a lot and I think this year I need to start improving my GRIT and self-control. The work load is only going to get heavier and having being able to have discipline over my self to get things done will benefit me in the present moment, but also in the long run.

How will you apply your knowledge for yourself in the IB?

I think that the units that we have covered in PSE thus far are all very valuable life skills. I have already tried implementing them into different aspects of my life. For example, I remember watching a video about a man explaining how he turns nerves into excitement and has more control over the situation. There are many things in my life that make me nervous such as playing sport games against other schools, performances, tests etc. When I catch myself getting nervous, I try to turn my mindset into being excited for the event instead. I found that I approach the situation with more confidence, calm and control and overall I perform better.

I have also been trying to be more emotionally intelligent. Although I feel like I am quite an empathetic person, I’ve found that recently, I’ve been letting my own feelings and emotions blur what I think others might be feeling. This has been difficult because I sometimes get frustrated at others, but don’t take the time to see their point of view. In the future I plan to work on this more by being more mindful about the way that others are feeling towards a situation, without projecting my own thoughts mindlessly, in order to be more level and fair.

One thought on “PSE So Far