Viva Voce – Reflection 3

The practical exploration of my chosen subject areas was vital because, though it was only for a short period, the application of my findings and the primary experience gained from my discovery helped me better understand the relationship between emotion theatre as a whole. I loved learning about Butoh and Theatre of Cruelty (TOC), which is ironic because initially, I didn’t think it would be something that would interest me. It was simultaneously overwhelming and exciting to be present, experience emotions, epiphanies, and the atmosphere, while also being self-aware about what it was I was doing and how it could link back to my research. I think that by doing the workshops and performing I had a bias from the preconceived ideas of each style, that made me subconsciously recognise the effects in performance. If I were to do my research project again, I would have liked to spend more time practicing each art for longer. I felt that the short duration of my practical exploration limited the results that I achieved. If this happened, I might have better connected the theory that I had researched about TOC and Butoh and perhaps draw more profound conclusions.