The Royal Hunt of the Sun

The Royal Hunt of the Sun is a play written by Peter Shaffer in 1964 based on the historical events of the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire in Peru. Francisco Pizzaro, the famous Spanish conquistador and his army, set on a mission to Peru where they wish to capture gold and convert the Incan people to Christianity. Along the way they meet the sun God’s son, and king of the empire, Athualpa. The Spanish slaughter a majority of the Incans in order to find the gold and sustain their authority. Pizzaro and Athualpa, despite being enemies at first, come to respect each one another as the play proceeds.

Related image

http://www.yat.org.uk/productions/index.php?sid=119

The reason I’m participating in this production is because I love drama and performing and the more experience I get, the better I’ll become. I enjoy the process of being a production. It’s so incredible to start a project and once you reach the end, reflect on the time when we were creating it from nothing. I love the costumes and the music and the lighting and how all the aspects of putting on a production come together to create a beautiful piece of art.The final production is so enchanting and exciting to be apart of.

We are going to be performing in Thrust so that the audience gets a more personal experience with the characters. This will be challenging for me as I’ve never performed in thrust before and it’ll force me to be more spatially aware as an individual, but also as an ensemble.

I also love working with the people in the drama community. The challenging times seem just a little bit easier when everyone is so supportive and encouraging. By the end of this experience, I want to learn more about myself as a performer and also how I work with new people in different scenarios. My goal is to really immerse myself in my character, Young Martin.

Here I’ll be documenting my process of being in the production in posts through photos, videos and reflections. The final performances are on the 20th-23rd of November 2018 and will be linked here.

This is the website that will also be documenting our progress.